Weight Loss Tip? Slow 'er Down
Action tip: It takes anywhere form 10 to 45 minutes from when you start to eat to feel full. It's easy to eat too fast and too much. (And if you've ever gone out to, say, a Mexican dinner starving and wolfed down chips, nachos, and your entree just to realize you are so full you can't breathe—you know this to be true. "Who, me?").
In my weight loss bag of tricks I have a lot of little real world tips that work. Losing weight is truly just a series of easy-to-follow smaller steps (and better habits) that are combined.
So, one small step is to control the calories you eat less at each meal. Here are a few simple ways you can do that...and outsmart your body.
- Drink a full glass of water about 20 minutes before eating.
- Eat your veggies (or salad) first before the rest of your meal.
- Slow down your eating.
- Put the fork down between bites.
- Sip water in between bites, too.
- Pick foods that require a lot of chewing or effort to get to (nuts in shells, raw vegetables, oranges).
- Try eating with chop sticks. (Trust me, I'd weigh nothing if I could only eat with chop sticks, tee hee).
- Don't watch TV, read or Facebook while eating.
- Make small talk. The more you talk, the slower (and less) you eat.
It's the simple things that make a difference. Try the above, and share your tips, too.