It’s Holiday time! Whether you read this before Christmas, Easter, or Halloween, these easy sugar cookies will save you calories and fat while giving you a hint of protein (yay Greek yogurt). Have you wondered how to make cookies more healthy? Well, wonder no more. Here is a low fat, no butter cookie recipe for you.
Make them, tweak the recipe, and post your thoughts/ideas below. Cookies rule! (Text version recipe is below recipe card.)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
½ cup powdered sugar – sifted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine applesauce & sugar until mixed thoroughly.
- Add egg & vanilla, & keep mixing.
- Combine flour, baking powder & salt in a bowl. Gradually add to egg/apple sauce/vanilla mixture.
- Take ‘one tablespoon-sized’ portions of dough & place onto a lighty greased cookie sheet (about 2 in. apart. Press a bit to flatten, or roll out & cut shapes).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Take out of oven, let sit for 5 min., then remove from cookie sheet. When they cool down, give them a frost!
- Whisk ingredients together until thick
- Cool in fridge for 30 min. to thicken more
- Spread & enjoy